Sandy Anderson was the winner of our Seafood Chowder competition at the Melplash Show 2013 with this recipe.
Ingredients (serves 4-5)
1 tablespoon sunflower oil
1 shallot, peeled and chopped
150 grams onion, chopped
1 bouquet garni (parsley stalks, 2 sprigs of thyme and a bay leaf)
112 grams Denhay dry cured, smoked streaky bacon, diced ¼ to ½ inch
568ml (one pint) whole organic milk
225 grams waxy potatoes (Charlotte) washed with skin left on, ¼ to ½ inch dice
1 celery stick, thinly sliced
198 gram can sweetcorn, drained
200 grams Chesil Smokery smoked haddock fillet, skin removed and cut into one inch pieces
250 grams fresh, locally caught pollock fillet, skinned and boned and cut into one inch pieces
6 fresh Lyme Bay scallops, without roe, sliced
Pinch of mace
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
500 ml fish stock
Freshly chopped parsley
Samphire, washed and blanched, roughly chopped
Leakers seeded soda loaf or floored cobber and butter
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add bacon. Cook over a medium heat until crisp and golden brown and remove from pan.
- Add onions and shallot to pan and cover with lid. Cook for a few minutes over a low heat until soft.
- Add the fish stock and milk together with the bouquet garni and cooked bacon.
- Add potatoes and celery and season with salt, black pepper and mace. Cover and simmer until potatoes are almost cooked – about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the sweet corn and fish pieces and simmer gently for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the scallops and cook for a further 2 to 3 minutes.
- Taste and correct seasoning.
- Serve in deep bowls with samphire and a sprinkle of parsley.